Mr Joseph Phillips
Special Educational Needs
Barr Beacon School
Areas of Support
Mr Joseph Phillips | Assistant Headteacher
I have two years’ experience working as SENDCo at Barr Beacon School. During this time, I was responsible for the timetabling of the Learning Support Assistants, Individual Education Plans, arranging the Access Arrangements, the day to day support for children with SEND and organising the SEND support clubs. I also delivered whole school staff training on the areas for development for teaching pupils with SEND.I oversaw the NQT programme at Barr Beacon School for two years. I organised the NQT training sessions, liaised with the NQT mentors and Leadership to monitor the progress of the NQTs, arranged lesson observations and oversaw the termly NQT reports. I am currently in charge of behaviour. For this, I am responsible for the overview of all pupils placed in isolation, monitoring exclusion fixtures, organising Managed Moves and pupils from the Fair Access Panel, a wide range of parental meetings and the day to day involvement in whole school behaviour. I am also responsible for whole school attendance and punctuality. I line manage the Assistant Heads of House who are responsible for the attendance and punctuality for each of the 4 houses in the school.
- 2016 Progress 8 for SEND Support 0.04, 2017 Progress 8 for SEND Support 0.10.
- All Year 8, 10 and 11 pupils were successfully transitioned to EHCPs from statements.
- 95% of those tested for Access Arrangements in the two years I was SENDCo received Access Arrangements.
- All 29 of the NQTs from the last two cohorts passed their training year.
- NQTs CPDs adapted so that it addressed the areas the NQTs felt they needed to work on.
- New isolation logging system implemented to make 100% accurate and more efficient.
- New Homophobic/Transphobic/Racist/Online logging system.
- Increase involvement with the police and transport police recognised by local police force.
- More rigorous system in place for all attendance letters.
- Reduction in the number of Fixed Term Exclusions